[blfs-support] IP Link will not enable wireless device

Michael Healy horsemanoffaith at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:15:59 PDT 2014

I recently finished installing LFS, and started working on BLFS. First
task: get wireless working. I finally got the firmware loaded and ip
link finds my interface (wlp9s0). It reports the interface as having no
carrier, and being down and dormant. Issuing --IP link set wlp9s0 up--
makes no changes. When I use ifconfig, it show that my interface is up.
I issue my wpa_supplicant command to the device, and it says
wpa_supplicant successfully initialized. When I use DHCPCD, however, it
waits for a carrier, but never receives one. If I use the following
command-

wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp9s0 -c <(wpa_passphrase my_SSID password)

It shows the MAC addresses talking to one another, but it says that the
device disconnects locally (deauth_leave). It does this several times in
a row, then periodically repeats the same string of output.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? I have an Intel Centrino Wireless
N 1030 card. I have iwlwifi installed and working (dmesg | grep iwlwifi
shows the same information in my working Arch install). I know that the
DHCP client and dhcpcd are working, because I can get internet access
using my wired Ethernet adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike