[blfs-support] Gutenprint -- Problem with cups restart

Christopher Gregory me at pc-networking-services.com
Mon Sep 29 23:35:12 PDT 2014

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 22:49:45 -0400
Alan Feuerbacher <alanf00 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've successfully installed Gutenprint via the BLFS book systemd
> instructions. The last thing it has you do is restart cups:
>
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart"
>
> But this file does not exist.
>
> I can find no place in the BLFS book where it's created, so I assume it
> must be created somewhere else.
>
> I thought that rebooting would accomplish the same thing, but I don't
> know if there are unwanted side effects. Rebooting seems to have got
> things working properly, since I can now do what the BLFS book says:
>
> "Then point your web browser to http://localhost:631/ to add a new
> printer to CUPS."
>
> Then I went through the printer installation routine; it found one
> printer on my home wireless network and installed it.
>
> Next I tried to print a test file: "lpr testfile" and "lp testfile". I
> got responses like this:
>
> "lpr: Error - no default destination available."
>
> I'm probably missing something simple, but I can't find my problem.
> Unfortunately I have almost no knowledge of system administration type
> stuff on linux.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. This is the first time I've gotten this
> far in playing with LFS, so I'm breaking new ground here. :-)
>
> Alan
> --

Hello,

If you have actually set up cups as per the systemd book, you already have
the systemd unit file for cups installed.  You can disregard what Hazel
has posted as the unit file is provided in the systemd unit files
download.

What seems to have happened is that the systemd instructions have been
lost on the Gutenprint page.  I will be correcting this in a few minutes.

You need to issue:

systemctl restart cups

The init.d instructions are not for a systemd system at all.

Regards,

Christopher.