[blfs-support] ALSA with PulseAudio question

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sat Sep 20 09:42:38 PDT 2014

On 09/20/2014 06:01 PM, alex lupu wrote:
> Hello and Greetings,
>
> Has anybody managed to make PulseAudio and ALSA work together
> cleanly on a HDMI-sound 32-bit Linux (BLFS)?
>
> Proof of the pudding (from among many others):
>
> 1.  aplay -l                         # "l" as in "lima" Peru (lower case)
>  displays the same nice output through PA as when PA is not running.
>
> 2.  aplay -<some arguments> <some-wav-file_(or so)>
>  plays nicely through PA as well.
>
> I have PA v.5.0 and ALSA 1.0.28
> (but can be any versions, as long as the above two criteria are met)
>
> After two days of frustration, all I need to know here is
> whether I've been on a wild-goose chase.
> (life can go on even without PA, I suppose/hope.)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -- Alex

Try installing alsa-plugins-1.0.28 and creating a configuration file
either as:

/etc/asound.conf (system wide config) or
~/.asoundrc (per-user config)

--CUT HERE--
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
--CUT HERE--

Without this config file, both alsa and pulse will try to open the alsa
device node that will result in a program that uses alsa to fail to
produce sound if pulse was started first or vice versa. With this file,
alsa will redirect everything to pulseaudio and pulseaudio will do the
talking with kernel. You will gain lattency with this, but I haven't
noticed any difference (well, heard) when using pure alsa or pulseaudio
or jack anyways (I guess I'm not an audiophile).

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.