[blfs-support] Stunnel Installation Troubles

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 04:22:27 PDT 2014

Howdy,

I'm trying to install stunnel in a running systemd LFS (not chroot)
installation, following Section "stunnel-5.03" in the systemd Version
2014-09-16 BLFS book.

Everything installs without errors, but I run into conceptual problems
trying to understand what's involved in configuring stunnel via the
stunnel.conf file. After telling you how to make this file, the book says:

############
  Finally, you need to add the service(s) you wish to encrypt to the
configuration file. The format is as follows:

[<service>]
accept  = <hostname:portnumber>
connect = <hostname:portnumber>

If you use stunnel to encrypt a daemon started from [x]inetd, you may
need to disable that daemon in the /etc/[x]inetd.conf file and enable a
corresponding <service>_stunnel service. You may have to add an
appropriate entry in /etc/services as well.
#############

I've looked at the stunnel man page, and looked for information using a
search engine, but can find nothing explaining what the above means.

In particular, various online writeups give examples of stunnel.conf
files, and speak of assigning port numbers, but assume the reader knows
what port numbers to choose for what services there are, and what
services should be set up.

As a complete tyro at this, I have no idea what to look for to properly
set up stunnel.conf. Any help would be appreciated.

Finally, the LFS book has you do this:

############
Systemd Units

To start the stunnel daemon at boot, enable the previously installed
systemd unit by running the following command as the root user:

systemctl enable stunnel
############

When I do the systemctl, I see 14 lines like this:

#######
[ yada yada ]: Could not find init script for gpm.service
[ yada yada ]: Could not find init script for sshd.service
#######

When I reboot, there is this message:

#######
[FAILED] Failed to start SSL tunnel for network daemons.
See 'systemctl status stunnel.service' for details.
[ 4.836936] systemd[1]: Unit stunnel.service entered failed state.
########

When I execute 'systemctl status stunnel.service' I get 15 lines of
output, with these near the beginning:

########
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2014-09-18 ...
Process: 232 ExecStart=/usr/bin/stunnel (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
########

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Alan