[blfs-support] LFS-7.6-rc1 is released

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 17:07:55 PDT 2014

On 9/8/2014 4:06 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> The Linux From Scratch community announces the release of LFS Version
> 7.6-rc1. It is a preliminary release of LFS-7.6 Major changes include
> toolchain updates to glibc-2.20 and gcc-4.9.1. Another major change is
> the use of the eudev package as a replacement for extracting udev from
> the systemd source code. In total, 26 packages were updated and 8
> packages added since the last release. Changes to the text has been made
> throughout the book. The linux kernel has also been updated to version
> 3.16.2.
>
> We encourage all users to read through this release of the book and test
> the instructions so that we can make the final release as good as possible.
>
> Please direct any comments about this release to the LFS development
> team at lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org. Please note that registration for
> the lfs-dev mailing list is required to avoid junk email.
>
>    -- Bruce Dubbs
>       linuxfromscratch.org

I sucessfully installed an LFS system Version 7.6-rc1 as of Monday
night, using the previous release (SVN-20140831). On Tuesday I noticed
this email, and decided to try upgrading to the latest version
(SVN-20140909). I downloaded the packages mentioned in the Changelog
(man-pages-3.72, upstream patches to gcc, linux-3.16.2,
util-linux-2.25.1, and also glibc-2.20 and its associated patch (I
double-checked the latest wget-list against the older one to find this)).

Next I recompiled the above in the order given in the LFS book, section
6. First I installed the linux-3.16.2 headers, then man-pages-3.72, then
glibc-2.20. That compiled ok, but many tests failed. I went ahead and
installed it anyway. Then I compiled gcc-4.9.1 using the new upstream
patch. It compiled ok, but the tests immediately failed with this:

WARNING: could not find 'runtest'

This is my first attempt at installing some new updates over an older
installation. Am I missing something in the above steps? Do I need to go
back and recompile a lot of stuff to get the new programs to work?
Perhaps all the way back to the beginning of section 5? Or the beginning
of section 6?

Alan