[blfs-support] gpm and two-button mice ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 14 19:52:35 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:39:52PM -0500, Dan McGhee wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2014, at 2:10 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >> Yes it is.  In a non-X environment just press the right button.  In X right button should open a window menu with “paste” in it.  Then, of course, there’s always CTRL-SHIFT-V.
> >>
> >> It just occurred to me.  Are you sure you’re copying?  With GPM without X, hold SHIFT while pressing left button.  Then right button to paste.  Once again, after you “select” a right click *should* get you a window menu with “copy” in it.
> >>
> >> Dan
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions, but no joy.  It seems likely that I was
> > only highlighting, instead of copying, but now that I have xorg
> > running I just tried again in a tty.  Also, it's technically a
> > trackpad [ makes a difference in evdev.conf ] and holding shift
> > while manipulating the trackpad and holding down the left button is
> > very hard (I normally use my index fingers for trackpad/buttons) so
> > I'll probably dispense with gpm on this machine.
> I re-read what I wrote last night and I wasn’t entirely clear.  I apologize.
>
> In and X environment, you don’t need to hold the SHIFT key.  Just the left mouse button and drag across your selection.  Then to paste, it’s CTRL-SHIFT-V or right click and open the menu.  OR, open Edit on the menu bar and select “Paste.”  It even works the same on an iMac.  :)
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Dan

 [ just trying to calm down after finally getting a new (example)
page to index, and I came back to my mailboxes to wind down, only
to see that _I_ have been causing confusion ] :

 Let's forget about my previous reply to you, and I'll try again -

 The Xorg environment is sorted (after I realised it was actually a
trackpad, not a mouse), so I then went back to a tty to see if gpm
would work : and that was where I realised that I had been
selecting, but not pasting.  But it seemed unmanageable on that
machine, whereas with a real mouse gpm is just about usable.

 So, you were right that I was not copying, because gpm needs shift
+ left mouse.  MAybe I'll learn to use it on that machine, but I am
not convinced.