[blfs-support] Sharing or Transferring Files Between Computers

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Mon Oct 13 09:07:12 PDT 2014

Le 13/10/2014 17:45, Dan McGhee a écrit :
> On Oct 12, 2014, at 9:15 AM, Dan McGhee <beesnees at grm.net> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 12, 2014, at 8:37 AM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Use file sharing, you can choose from:
>>>
>>> NFS Shares (nfs-utils needed for client and/or server on a Linux box and
>>> it's possible that MAC OSX may support NFS out of the box).
>>>
>>> SMB/CIFS shares (aka Windows Shares - for server support on Linux, Samba
>>> is the way to go, while for client you may be able to mount a cifs share
>>> without installing any additional components or you have at least to
>>> install cifs-utils package).
>> One thing I’m still getting used to on my new iMac is “helpful” help.  I’m adding this just for the record.  “Out of the box” OS.10 supports AFB, NFS, SMB/CIF and ftp.  It’s just a matter of setting up the other machine.
>>
> The concept of clients are servers is one of those things I thought I understood but really don’t.  I’ve looked at a bit of information discussing what each does, but as far as my desires go, I didn’t find the answer to what I want to do.
>
> I’m pretty sure that my iMac is both a client and a server for file sharing.  If I build and install NFS-utils on my laptop and configure only the client, will I be able to move files both ways?  I don’t necessarily want to conduct operations from one machine on the other, I just want to grab stuff from my laptop and put it on my Mac so I can read it.  And vice versa.
>
> With my current state of knowledge, I know that I need NFS-Utils (my choice from all the options).  But what I don’t know is what I need from NFS-Utils on my laptop to do what I want.

AFAIK, The client can see, and mount the drives (not necessarily
physical drives, sometimes called a "share" rather than a "drive") on
the server, while this is not possible the other way around. Once you
have mounted a drive on the client, you can use it as if it were local,
which means transfer data in both direction (unless mounted readonly).
So, if you want to work from the Mac and see what is going on with the
laptop, the laptop is the server and the Mac is the client. If you need
to work from the laptop, this is the other way around. I you want to
work from both, of course, each computer can be client and server at the
same time. The server needs to be configured (essentially to define
which drives/shares are exported to the potential clients, see "man
exports").

Regards
Pierre