[blfs-support] Hacking on xkeyboard so I can key more glyphs

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Thu Oct 2 10:34:04 PDT 2014

On 10/02/2014 12:20 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 10:18:16PM +0200, Armin K. wrote:
>> On 10/01/2014 09:56 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>>>
>>>  Some of this will almost certainly NOT work with systemd - I found
>>> postings which said that it writes its own 00- keyboard.conf file.
>>>
>>> ĸen
>>>

>> systemd (well, localed) won't create anything unless you tell it to, so
>> I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Xorg is Xorg in both cases.
>>
>  That is good to know, I stand corrected.
>
>> Anyways, have you had a chance to look at IBus? It's an input method
>> switcher and supports add-ons for many languages and whatsoever. I, for
>> one, also install libgxim, imsettings and im-chooser (which in turn
>> support all mainstream desktops) so everything gets configured just fine
>> at session startup. For Qt4 apps, there's an ibus-qt module while Qt5
>> itself has a bundled one that doesn't have a hard dep.
>>

>  My interests are limited to alphabetic languages - I like to be
> able to *render* other scripts, but that is all - and from what I've
> read in the past, I don't think that ibus would particularly help me
> key in the latin/cyrillic/greek alphabets.  I recall seeing it
> mentioned for script languages (e.g. CJK).  Or am I wrong ?
>
>  I'm already months, or years, behind on everything except editing,
> so adding a way of entering CJK from the keyboard would be
> interesting, but the sort of distraction I need to resist.

It's just an Input BUS. Switches between different input methods and
input modules for different toolkits (X11, GTK+, Qt) fairly easy. I
don't think it's just limited to CJK. I can use it just fine to switch
between my local layouts. What I am not sure of is where it gets these
layouts. ibus-setup doesn't provide many layouts to select from, but in
GNOME, which uses IBus for its input method switching, you can switch
between any input methods provided by xkeyboard-config.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.