[blfs-support] IP Link will not enable wireless device

Christopher Gregory me at pc-networking-services.com
Wed Oct 1 15:47:24 PDT 2014

On Thu, October 2, 2014 6:43 am, Michael Healy wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2014 5:58 AM, "Christopher Gregory"
> <me at pc-networking-services.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, October 1, 2014 2:15 pm, Michael Healy wrote:
>>
>>> I recently finished installing LFS, and started working on BLFS.
>>> First
>>> task: get wireless working. I finally got the firmware loaded and ip
>>> link finds my interface (wlp9s0). It reports the interface as having
>>> no carrier, and being down and dormant. Issuing --IP link set wlp9s0
>>> up-- makes no changes. When I use ifconfig, it show that my interface
>>> is up.
>
>>> issue my wpa_supplicant command to the device, and it says
> wpa_supplicant
>>> successfully initialized. When I use DHCPCD, however, it waits for a
>>> carrier, but never receives one. If I use the following command-
>>>
>>> wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp9s0 -c <(wpa_passphrase my_SSID password)
>>>
>>> It shows the MAC addresses talking to one another, but it says that
>>> the device disconnects locally (deauth_leave). It does this several
>>> times
> in a
>>> row, then periodically repeats the same string of output.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me solve this problem? I have an Intel Centrino
>>> Wireless
>>> N 1030 card. I have iwlwifi installed and working (dmesg | grep
>>> iwlwifi shows the same information in my working Arch install). I know
>>> that the DHCP client and dhcpcd are working, because I can get
>>> internet access using my wired Ethernet adapter. Any help would be
>>> greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> The first thing that you should post is what version of lfs and blfs
>> you are using.  There are two versions of each.
>>
>> Giving assistance without knowing the basics just leads to guess work.
>>

>> Christopher.
>>

>> --
>>

> *Facepalm*!!! Ugh, can't believe I forgot that!! I'm using LFS and BLFS
> Systemd 7.6. Thanks, Christopher.

Hello Mike,

I notice that you said that you had an Arch Linux installation that works
with your wireless card.  The following is what I would try to see if you
can get it working:

1) Check what version of the Kernel Arch is using.
2) If the kernel that we use in the book is newer, try using the same
version as that used in arch.
3) Make sure that you are using the latest version of firmware for your
wireless card.
4) In some cases using a different version of the kernel either down a
level, or even up a level if there is a newer stable than that posted in
the book can work.  Sometimes there is a bug in the kernel code for the
wireless card and this can be checked by doing the version up or down.

Its a matter of trial and error.

5) I would also go back and re-compile the applications in the book with
regards to wireless, ie wpa_supplicant etc.

6) Go through and uninstall dhcpd if you do not need it.  Dhcp is not
actually needed to be installed seperately with the version of Systemd in
the book as it is shipped and bundeled as native with systemd-networkd.

7) Take another look at the network section in lfs:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/systemd/chapter07/network.html

Paying attention to section 7.2.2 where it shows that resolv.conf is
actually now a symlink to a different location to accommodate networkd.

Also on the wpa_supplicant page it lists the correct way to enable and
start the service on a systemd system.

I am unable to test wireless as I am out of range of the wireless access
point here, and have had to use ethernet over power addaptor to get
internet access.

I do know that I was able to get it working correctly on 7.5 LFS when I
tested it up at the main house.

Regards,

Christopher.