[blfs-support] Hacking on xkeyboard so I can key more glyphs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 1 15:20:42 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 10:18:16PM +0200, Armin K. wrote:
> On 10/01/2014 09:56 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >  Some of this will almost certainly NOT work with systemd - I found
> > postings which said that it writes its own 00- keyboard.conf file.
> >
> > ĸen
> >

> systemd (well, localed) won't create anything unless you tell it to, so
> I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Xorg is Xorg in both cases.

 That is good to know, I stand corrected.

> Anyways, have you had a chance to look at IBus? It's an input method
> switcher and supports add-ons for many languages and whatsoever. I, for
> one, also install libgxim, imsettings and im-chooser (which in turn
> support all mainstream desktops) so everything gets configured just fine
> at session startup. For Qt4 apps, there's an ibus-qt module while Qt5
> itself has a bundled one that doesn't have a hard dep.

 My interests are limited to alphabetic languages - I like to be
able to *render* other scripts, but that is all - and from what I've
read in the past, I don't think that ibus would particularly help me
key in the latin/cyrillic/greek alphabets.  I recall seeing it
mentioned for script languages (e.g. CJK).  Or am I wrong ?

 I'm already months, or years, behind on everything except editing,
so adding a way of entering CJK from the keyboard would be
interesting, but the sort of distraction I need to resist.

> If you are interested, I can send either my build scripts or notes for
> that. Do note that this may be useful for switching input methods and
> keyboard layouts on-the-fly with a simple click of a mouse. If you have
> a better way of achieving this, then you may not need it.

 Thanks, that sounds interesting, but unless I'm wrong about the
(lack of) benefits for me from ibus, I don't think I'm interested.
My previous icewm settings did let me click on three icons for gb+,
ru+, el and that was nice (so long as I didn't try to get out of vim
when the keyboard was not set to gb).

ĸen