[blfs-support] vlc - anybody got encoded DVDs to play properly ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 18 15:51:26 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 04:00:42PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Video problem?  DVD driver problem?  I tested on my i7 with i915 video
> drivers.  It's a pretty new (less than 2 months old) system.
>
>   -- Bruce

 Both are possible, but I have seen the same issue for several years
and multiple hardware variants.  For me, the i915 on SandyBridge
(with the extra drivers which are in BLFS - I'm thinking of libva or
whatever it is called) - works well in every other usage, so I will
be surprised if it contributes to this problem.  On AMD I have had
video problems on recent -rc kernels, but gabriele's earlier response
says that he too has had problems with (he thought) vlc-2 :  I am
pretty sure that my problems started before that.

 I suspect that I had this problem even before I was using KMS (so,
the radeon driver with userspace mode settings).  And for the DVD
drive, it is whatever the kernel provides - in the beginning, that
was probably /dev/hdX with the old driver, but for several years it
has been the libata driver on /dev/sr0.

ĸen