[blfs-support] No local Printer Cups

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jun 3 16:04:23 PDT 2014

Em 03-06-2014 19:27, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 06:38:33PM -0700, Marcos Pansani wrote:
>>
>> I tried the svn version ... and nothing, I once wore linux mint and worked normal printer .... it's a shame that it only lacks the LFS to get it perfect, moreover, everything works....
>>
>> Today I tried to give the command:
>>
>> escputil --ink-level --raw-device /dev/usb/lp
>>
>> and appeared the following result:
>>
>> Unable to write to /dev/usb/lp0: Resource temporarily unavailable
>>

>> is that something in the kernel that the cups this failing query the printer!?!
>
>  Again, please do not top-post on these lists if you can avoid it -
> it makes trying to follow the conversation back-to-front.

>  I'm slightly surprised that escputil was trying to _write_, but
> that may be correct, it is a slightly unusual utility.  The
> important part of the error message is "Resource temporarily
> unavailable".  It means you need to retry the command.
>
>  I think Fernando used to see a similar error.  Me, I have
> occasionally seen this sort of error (i.e. it failed to report the
> ink levels).  Of course, the printer needs to be idle when you use
> this command, but I expect you already knew that.

ĸen helped me to solve a similar problem Cannot remember all steps, now.
Anyway, this is one of the areas where he is _the_ expert.

Problem was not in BLFS, but Lubuntu-12.04. After ĸen's recommendation,
I compiled gutenprint in /usr/local/, IIRC.

I think you mistyped the command above. If I do:

$ escputil --ink-level --raw-device /dev/usb/lp0
Escputil version 5.2.9, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Não foi possível abrir /dev/usb/lp0 escrita/leitura: Permissão negada

Then I repeat with sudo, and it succeeds:

$ sudo escputil --ink-level --raw-device /dev/usb/lp0
Escputil version 5.2.9, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Impressora desconhecida Stylus CX7300!
        Cor da Tinta    Percentagem restante
               Ciano                     100
             Magenta                      96
             Amarelo                      73
               Preto                      21
If this does not solve your problem, we need to think more.

BTW, new gutenprint in BLFS has CX7300 (my printer) as a known printer,
included thanks to ĸen.

--
[]s,
Fernando