[blfs-support] No local Printer Cups

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 3 15:27:16 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 06:38:33PM -0700, Marcos Pansani wrote:

> I tried the svn version ... and nothing, I once wore linux mint and worked normal printer .... it's a shame that it only lacks the LFS to get it perfect, moreover, everything works....
>
> Today I tried to give the command:
>
> escputil --ink-level --raw-device /dev/usb/lp
>
> and appeared the following result:
>
> Unable to write to /dev/usb/lp0: Resource temporarily unavailable
>

> is that something in the kernel that the cups this failing query the printer!?!

 Again, please do not top-post on these lists if you can avoid it -
it makes trying to follow the conversation back-to-front.  You are
on yahoo, so I guess that trying to bottom-post might be as
difficult as it is with gmail's web mail client.  Also, there is
never any need for people to send me personal copies of replies to
the LFS lists - this is not lkml!

 I'm slightly surprised that escputil was trying to _write_, but
that may be correct, it is a slightly unusual utility.  The
important part of the error message is "Resource temporarily
unavailable".  It means you need to retry the command.

 I think Fernando used to see a similar error.  Me, I have
occasionally seen this sort of error (i.e. it failed to report the
ink levels).  Of course, the printer needs to be idle when you use
this command, but I expect you already knew that.

 All that the kernel needs to do is to have the usb printer enabled.
Doing that means that /dev/usb/lp0 will appear when the printer is
turned on after linux has booted (if you are using udev or one of
its successors - coping with usb is the only real reason for using
that heap of code on a modern desktop ;-)  So, whatever other
printer problem(s) you are having, the kernel config appears to be
ok.

 However, if the printer still does not show up in cups then I don't
think that knowing the ink levels will help.  Each invocation of
escputil -i seems to use a little ink (possibly, for "charging" the
nozzles) on my epson.

 For future versions of gutenprint, libusb might be used by
escputil, that was suggested a few days ago.  If so, the need for
the kernel's usb printer driver will disappear (this was suggested
because many distros do not enable it, there used to be an
incompatability with libusb).

ĸen