[blfs-support] cheese and gstreamer plugins

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:59:42 PDT 2014

Armin K. wrote:
> On 06/02/2014 08:25 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Armin K. wrote:

>>> gstreamer-1.2.x vpx decored is part of gst-plugins-good. It was moved
>>> from gst-plugins-bad-1.0.x iirc. libvpx should be added as a recommended
>>> dep to gst-plugins-good-1.2.x instead of gst-plugins-bad-1.2.x.
>>
>> Thanks.  I got another message that said essentially the same thing.
>> Rebuilding in the correct order got rid of the error message.
>>
>> Now I don't get the error message.  Unfortunately, cheese still doesn't
>> work for me.  I have a black window.  Actually, there are several problems.
>>
>> The only menu item is "Cheese" and that has submenu items:  Fullscreen,
>> Preferences, Help, About, and Quit.  Help doesn't work.  I get the message:
>>
>> ** Message: cheese-application.vala:478: Error opening help: Operation
>> not supported
>>
>> I'm not sure what this means.  I'll note here that I have not yet built
>> any browser for this system.  If that's all it takes, I can do that.
>> Does anyone know how the help system works?
>>

> Install Yelp.

Another thing to add to the cheese page.  I did install yelp-xsl.  It
will take me a while as I don't yet have WebKitGTK and it's dependencies
built.

>> More importantly, I get a black window and some greyed out controls.
>>
>> It may be that the camera has to be turned on.  This is a built in
>> camera on the laptop and I don't know how to turn it on and off if that
>> is indeed the problem.  Can anyone help in this area?

> You need a kernel driver for it. My built-in camera uses
> CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS video driver (USB Video Class). Drivers for
> cameras are in Drivers -> Multimedia. I don't know how to help more
> here. To see if any driver claimed it, check if /dev/video0 exists
> (given that there's only one camera) and gstreamer will take care of
> "turning it on".

Yes, I have /dev/video0 and cheese has in Prefereces->Webcam "TOSHIBA
Web Camera (/dev/video0)"  I just don't think that gstreameer is turning
it on.  I'll google for that.

Come to think about it, I have an external Logitech camera that I've
never used.  It has an external on/off switch.  I'll try that.

>> I also have to look very closely for the controls but that may be the
>> theme.  I can experiment with themes to see if I can change visibility.
>>
>> One last thing is that the preferences drop down boxes look weird.  This
>> may also be a theme issue.

> Try installing gnome-themes-standard?

I installed that already.  Selecting "High Contrast" makes the greyed
out portions a bit more visible and the drop down boxes are OK.

   -- Bruce