[blfs-support] moving lfs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 20 14:59:45 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 09:46:51PM +0100, Armin K. wrote:

> Yes, I remember the issue when /dev/console and /dev/null nodes were
> missing after backup with Debian 6 version of "tar" ... Sockets aren't
> added either, but it prints a warning. I think though that device nodes
> issue is fixed in later releases.

 I think it was the move to CONFIG_DEVTMPFS which meant people no
longer need to create /dev/console and /dev/null when restoring from
a backup.  That's based on my experience using (originally)
 tar --one-file-system
and now (for several years)
 rsync -aHx --delete --numeric-ids
(where -x means don't cross filesystem boundaries).  The missing
/dev/console and /dev/null caught me out a few times in the past.

  I've never backed up /proc, not /dev after LFS moved to udev, and not
/sys, but I _do_ create my backups from a running system.

ĸen