[blfs-support] moving lfs

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 13:33:48 PDT 2013

akhiezer wrote:

>   - sockets, devs, doors, the usual stuff: I interpreted the original problem
> sub-item spec as getting a byte-for-byte copy of the lfs partition(s) as-is,
> and then restoring them. If instead it's loosened to not bothering about some
> items/aspects and allowing/assuming their re-creation automatically, then yeah
> fine: but I wouldn't do backups of full-system snapshots that way.

I'm not sure what devs or doors are.  There are seven file types in
Unix/Linux:  regular, directories, sockets, symbolic links, pipes
(fifos), block special, and character special.

All special files should be in the /dev directory.  I'm not sure I'd try
to make a backup of a live system.  There are too many chances of
something getting out of sync.  Trying to back up /proc or /sys  or any
other virtual file system seems very problematic to me.

   -- Bruce

Oh, is see a door is specific to solaris.  I haven't used that in 15 years.