[blfs-support] Autofs problem on LFS7.2

Cliff McDiarmid cliffhanger at gardener.com
Tue Mar 19 14:23:26 PDT 2013

YES

> For things to work ok with those two configs, you must have *at least*:
> --
> * /media/auto is an already-existing directory: automount (IME) won't create it,
>  whether automatically or otherwise.
>  Normally want (owner, group, perms) = (root, root, 0755) for both /media and
>  /media/auto
>
> * The usbstick is assigned device '/dev/sdb' .
>  NB and be clear that the assig of '/dev/sdb' to the usbstick, is not done by
>  automount.
>  Verify device-assig via e.g. /var/log/{messages,debug,syslog} or similar.
>
> * The settings '-fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002' settings in auto.misc,
>  should be not at odds with either how the usbstick is formatted, or the
>  user-permissions/umask/group-memberships/&c of the user that is trying to use
>  the automount facility

This was all right as far as I was concerned at the time. I have since altered it(see below)with no effect.

> --
> There are other files & setup that might need to be adjusted; we can as noted
> come to that if necessary - it's normally not complicated.
>

> If the above is all-ok, then you should see the following behaviour:
> ==
> * connect usbstick to usb port of computer.
> * the command 'ls /media/auto/sandisk' should show you the contents of the
>  usbstick.
>  Note that just doing 'ls /media/auto' will likely just show an apparently-empty
>  dir: instead, you need to specify the full '/media/auto/sandisk' path.

None of this was or is happening.

> * work directly as root-user.
> * use a new test area for automounting to:
>  if [ ! -e /testautomount ] ; then
>  install -o root -g root -m 0755 -d /testautomount ;
>  fi;
> * have only the following in /etc/auto.master :
>  /testautomount /etc/auto.testautomount
> * create a new test automount-map:
>  if [ ! -e /etc/auto.testautomount ] ; then
>  install -o root -g root -m 0644 /dev/null /etc/auto.testautomount ;
>  fi;
> * have only the following in /etc/auto.testautomount :
>  sandisk -fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002 :/dev/sdb
>  Just to double-check: if you mount /dev/sdb manually using those mount-opts,
>  then it goes all-ok?

Checked '-fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002  :/dev/sdb'  This did not work when mounted manually, the only command that worked was 'mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sandisk(or any other mount point)' i.e. it would not accept'-fstype', either with vfat or ext2.

Anyway - created all the above and reduced the /etc/auto.testautomount file to 'sandisk   :/dev/sdb'.  Nothing would mount.  I can mount manually and see the contents of the USB stick, but not with automount.

Where do we go from here?

many thanks

MAC