[blfs-support] Unable to load certain websites

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 11:07:25 PDT 2013

Alexander Spitzer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Recently, I've been having trouble loading certain websites on an LFS
> system. Everything works great except for certain websites most notably
> en.wikipedia.org. Any wikipedia page takes FOREVER to load (if at all).
> I've ruled out my local router settings because Google Chrome on Windows on
> the same computer loads Wikipedia just fine. I've also ruled out the
> browser (Midori) because a python urllib request also takes forever. Other
> websites affected are yahoo.com and facebook.com. Accessing these sites
> through a proxy works fine so I'm guessing it has something to do with the
> local DNS configuration. Pinging the websites from a different computer
> yields the same IP address so DNS appears to be working properly (pinging
> shows no signs of problems either). Can this be related to the DHCPCD
> configuration on the system? I added nohook resolv.conf to the dhcpcd.conf
> file and tried manually setting the nameserver but the problem is still
> there. My network knowledge is limited so I'm at a loss as to how to
> proceed from here. The wierd thing is that most of the time the page does
> eventually load, it just takes an absurdly long time. Any help or insight
> into the problem would be greatly appreciated.

It does sound like a DNS issue.  Try changing /etc/resolv.conf to:

nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Those are Google public nameservers.  The dhcp client may overwrite that
so it may not be a permanent fix if it is indeed the problem.

You can also try putting known IP addresses in /etc/hosts.

   -- Bruce