[blfs-support] Mouse and Keyboard don't work with Xorg :-(

Pierre M.R. prousselet at sfr.fr
Tue Mar 19 02:43:48 PDT 2013

James Tyrer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> James Tyrer wrote:
>>> Note that this is a temporary account and I am temporary running on a
>>> Fedora 15 CD till I get my new Linux from scratch system to work.  I
>>> need help.
>>>
>>> X.Org X Server 1.14.0
>>>
>>> I think that I followed the instruction and this is not the first time
>>> I have built the X11 server.  I started building XFree86.  Everyting
>>> appeared to go OK but when I started it for the first time with
>>> "startx" it opened with TWM and looked OK but the mouse and the
>>> keyboard didn't work.  A google search reveals that others have the
>>> same problem but I didn't really see the solution to the problem.
>>>
>>> X is installed with PREFIX=/usr/X11R7  Which is where I installed it
>>> last time although on a different disk.
>>>
>>> I checked the X log.  The module path appears correct:
>>>
>>> [ 35004.515] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules"
>>>
>>> The configure file for the mouse: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/mouse-0.conf:
>>>
>>> Section "InputDevice"
>>>        Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>>        Driver      "evdev"
>>>        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>>>        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>>        Option      "Buttons" "5"
>>>        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>>        Option      "Name"  "Logitech M100"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> looks OK, but the X log reports:
>>>
>>> [ 35012.524] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB
>>> Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
>>> [ 35012.524] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
>>>
>>> and the mouse and the keyboard simply do not work with X although they
>>> work fine in text mode.
>> I suggest removing the config file and try the defaults.  Make sure that
>> you built the evdev driver.  It should be in
>> /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input.
>>
> Well, Bruce, since I now have my new NEC flat screen hooked up as well
> as yet another mouse to be destroyed by the cats. I removed the
> xorg.conf files.  Might still need some configuration for my keyboard
> as I have an original (but late model) IBM 101 key click keyboard
> (buckling spring technology) and the result was that ...
>
> Well, the result was exactly the same.  The last two lines of the X
> log were the same and neither the mouse or the keyboard worked.
xf86-input-evdev provides default config files installed in
/usr/X11R7/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.
The mouse-0.conf should also be removed.
To customize the keyboard or mouse cp the default evdev config file
10-evdev.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and make your changes there, for
instance:
  MatchIsKeyboard "on"
  Option "XkbModel" "pc101"

Pierre