[blfs-support] line breaks in terminal

svenbartscher at yahoo.de svenbartscher at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 17 02:29:09 PDT 2013

Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 06:47:59PM +0100, Sven Bartscher wrote:
> > hey guys!
> > I finished the lfs 7.2 book a few months ago. I have the problem that
> > bash desn't auto-break the line if i reach the end of the screen while
> > typing. So i does a carriage return an overwrites my prompt. Sometimes i
> > get strange constructs like that:
> >
> > e example18:32:04# example example example example example example exampl
> >        cursor^              ^ Begin of typed text
> >

>  You said this is in the linux console itself.  I use the slightly
> longer version of inputrc in chapter 7 of the book, but you only
> seem to be missing the entries for xterm and konsole, and I don't
> notice any errors in your values.
>
>  Are you, perhaps, still using something linked to /tools ?
>
>  If not, I see that in both .bashrc and .bash_profile I have lines to
> export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc if that files exists (my own setup is
> carried forward from whatever worked when I first started using
> BLFS).  In the current BLFS book that is now handled in
> /etc/profile.d/readline.sh - see Chapter 3,
> "The Bash Shell Startup Files".
>
> ??en
> --
> das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce
It's impossible, that i use something linked to tools because i deleted /tools
i missed the /etc/profile.d/readline.sh bt now i added it. I have still the same problem. Now i did see that only the first auto-linebrak doesn't work. So if i  type something very long longer then two lines i get one auto-break for from the second line to the third line. Very strange...
regards
Sven