[blfs-support] Usb error on boot/ or insert

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 12 16:25:29 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:24:30PM +0000, spiky wrote:
> Ok I have replaced files in /rcS.d/ built kernel 3.7.10 and it all works
> ok as expected. I then ran make oldconfig on 3.8.2 kernel I get the
> error back, I then just added .config to 3.8.2 kernel and ran menuconfig
> "silentconfig" then make and I end up with the errors. So the error
> looks like a  kernel problem,
 If you want to debug this (and I totally understand if you don't
have the time or motivation to run git bisect), I suggest you:

(i.) Build 3.8 just in case the problem arose between 3.8 and
3.8.2.  If 3.8 *is* ok please post details of the problem to lkml
noting that 3.8 was ok and 3.8.2 isn't (and CC
stable at vger.kernel.org because it is a problem added in stable).

(ii.) If 3.8 is equally broken for you, report to lkml that both 3.8
and 3.8.2 are broken for you.  Sometimes, people already have a fix.
If no fix is forthcoming build git, get linus's tree, and bisect
between 3.7.0 and 3.8.0.  [ This is where the fun comes in ;-) ]  If
you identify which commit causes the problem, try reverting only
that commit from 3.8.2 (e.g. copy the commit to a patch, then use
patch -R to revert that from 3.8.2) - sometimes too much else has
changed, other times doing this shows the commit is indeed the
problem, other times it makes you doubt if your bisect was accurate.
:-(  [ been there, had all three variants on different bugs ].

 If you are able to blame a particular commit, please CC it's author
and anyone who committed it to a subsystem tree.

 You probably need access to a graphical browser to find past threads
about whatever you uncover and for general help on 'git bisect'.

 When reporting, please be clear about what the problem is, and how
repeatable it is.  I have the impression that some or all of your usb
peripherals stop working after a little while, but I'm not sure if
that is what you meant.

ĸen