[blfs-support] ntp depends on libcap2 when use "-u" option.

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Mon Mar 11 07:55:47 PDT 2013

Le 11/03/2013 15:01, xinglp a écrit :
> 2013/3/11 Armin K.<krejzi at email.com>:
>> On 03/11/2013 03:57 AM, xinglp wrote:
>>> We just need to install libcap2 before ntp, and it will auto detect.
>>>
>> Thanks for the info. I had libcap2 present at build time since I install
>> it early so I didn't notice. I've been using -u ever since.
> You can verify it by run 'ldd $(which ntpd)|grep libcap'.
> BTW: Where can I get the information of a package is need by others
> and vice-versa in some other distro.

On distros based on Debian (that is Ubuntu, Knoppix...),
I launch aptitude, then I look for the package
(type / as a shortcut, then the name of the package).
then type return when the name of the package you
seek is highlighted.
You get some information about the package,
one of which is the dependencies (Depends).
For example, for ntp, it lists:
adduser
libc6
libcap2
libedit2
libopts25
libssl1.0.0
lsb-base
netbase
-------------------
It also lists which packages depend on the one you are
looking at.
In case you do not know which package owns a specific
file, you can use 'apt-file search'. To install apt-file:
 > sudo apt-get install apt-file
 > sudo apt-file update
You cannot get all the build dependencies this way.
'apt-build info' seems to do the trick, but I do not
have much experience with it.
Regards
Pierre