[blfs-support] Errors on Booting LFS the First Time

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 15:25:38 PDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 5:24 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

Success!

> You should be able to do
>
> linux   (hd0,msdos6)/<tab>
 > and have a list of files show up.  Then fill out the rest of the line.

I ended up with this in grub.cfg :

# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5

insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,msdos6)

menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.5.2-lfs-7.2" {
         linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.2-lfs-7.2 root=/dev/sdc6 ro
}

I'm surprised, given all that I've read, that the /boot in front of
vmlinuz... was necessary.

> But didn't you have /boot on sdc1?  I'd think that
> linux   (hd0,msdos1)/<tab> would work.

That's where /boot is alright. I suppose I can try that out, but that
will be later.

>>> Since you loaded grub on hdc, grub evidently thinks hdc is (hd0).
>>
>> Is that what one would expect?
>
> I'm not sure.  Maybe.  However, I've always kept /boot on sda.  In one
> case sda1 and another sda3.  If I set up a raw system, I will use sda1
> for /boot.

I wanted to keep all LFS stuff physically separate from the Fedora and
Debian installations that are each on separate hard disks. I'm familiar
enough with Murphy's Law that I tend to do such things as a matter of
course.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help!

By the way, the suggestion at the end of the LFS book (Sect. 9.3) about
installing some BLFS software is excellent. GPM is working, as are a
bunch of other system daemons. I guess I'll be spending time making sure
that a lot of this stuff is working.

The only failure of startup stuff was this:

[ 10.249881] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    Setting up default gateway...RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
                                                    [ FAIL ]

Then after a few more startup lines:

lfs-alan login: [ . . . e1000e: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex,
Flow Control: Rx/Tx
... IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

It appears to me that the FAIL was resolved, no?

Alan