[blfs-support] How Do I Know When to Recompile the Kernel?

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Wed Oct 24 09:41:00 PDT 2012

On 10/24/12 16:37, Feuerbacher, Alan wrote:
> In the BLFS book's Xorg Drivers section ( http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x7driver.html ) Xorg Evdev Driver-2.7.3, it says:
>
> ########
> Kernel Configuration
>
> Enable the following options in the kernel configuration and recompile the kernel if necessary:
> ########
>
> How do I know if recompiling the kernel is necessary?
>
> I've read quite a bit of the LFS kernel documentation but haven't found a clear discussion of what specific things require kernel recompilation. Can you anyone point out such information?
>
> Alan
A few replies have already been given, but I am wondering what Alan is
*really* asking.

He says "How do I know if recompiling the kernel is necessary?" while
referencing the documentation saying "Enable the following options in
the kernel configuration and recompile the kernel if necessary".

So maybe the simple answer is:
"If the options where not already enabled, then a recompile is necessary".

In general, I can think of only three reasons why a recompile of the
kernel would be necessary:
1) if the configuration (.config file) is changed
2) if the toolchain (gcc etc.) used to build the kernel is changed
3) if you want to upgrade to a different kernel version

Just my 5 cents, sorry if I am on the wrong track here...

/Henrik