[blfs-support] How Do I Know When to Recompile the Kernel?

Carl Thorn thorncs at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 08:50:53 PDT 2012

________________________________
From: Carl Thorn <thorncs at yahoo.com>
To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Wed, October 24, 2012 10:22:18 AM
Subject: Re: [blfs-support] How Do I Know When to Recompile the Kernel?

________________________________
From: "Feuerbacher, Alan" <AFeuerbacher at ALLEGROMICRO.com>
To: "BLFS Help Support (blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org)"
<blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Wed, October 24, 2012 9:37:31 AM

In the BLFS book's Xorg Drivers section (
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x7driver.html ) Xorg Evdev
Driver-2.7.3, it says:

########
Kernel Configuration

Enable the following options in the kernel configuration and recompile the
kernel if necessary:

########

How do I know if recompiling the kernel is necessary?

I've read quite a bit of the LFS kernel documentation but haven't found a clear
discussion of what specific things require kernel recompilation. Can you anyone
point out such information?

Alan

I apologize for my earlier response. I misunderstood the question when I read it
the first time. The only time I have seen any thing relating to kernel
reconfiguration was when installing specific packages. Most of the time my
kernel was already configured correctly. But it would be nice to have a list of
packages that may require kernel reconfiguration ( I don't know if one exists or
not).