[blfs-support] Problem and solution of sound issue with GNOME

Lars Bamberger maillist at herr-der-mails.de
Sat Oct 6 08:49:30 PDT 2012


On 06.10.2012 16:54, Armin K. wrote:
> On 06.10.2012 16:22, Lars Bamberger wrote:
>> On 06.10.2012 15:33, Armin K. wrote:
>>> On 06.10.2012 13:34, Lars Bamberger wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>> 
>>>> I had updated some packages and somewhere along the way, I
>>>> lost all the sound in GNOME. GNOME sound preferences only
>>>> showed the dummy audio sink.
>>>> 
>>>> I found that I had to change some GNOME settings using the 
>>>> dconf editor 
>>>> (desktop/gstreamer/0.10/default-elements/*-audiosink from the 
>>>> default value of autoaudiosink to alsasink) for it to work 
>>>> again.
>>> 
>>> GNOME uses PulseAudio by default and it's volume control is 
>>> PulseAudio-based.
>> 
>> pulseaudiosink (or pulsesink) instead of alsasink also works.
>> Point is, autoaudiosink doesn't.
>> 
> 
> I don't quite understand what do you mean by "updated some
> packages". If you upgraded some packages from 3.4 to 3.6, then I
> guess nothing works because 3.6 components use GStreamer 1.0 which is
> incompatible with GStreamer 0.10 (All GNOME components from 3.6 use
> 1.0).

Indeed, I was upgrading GNOME to version 3.6 (packages listed in the
book under Platform and Desktop) and also installing GStreamer-1.0 (but
keeping GStreamer-0.10.36). I wrote "some packages" because I don't know
which package _exactly_ puts "autoaudiosink" as a default into the GNOME
settings and at what point sound stopped working.

I only noticed when a fresh installation of rhythmbox-2.98 (not in the
book) didn't work until after the GNOME packages were installed.
rhythmbox-2.98 uses GStreamer-0.10, not 1.0. Other applications work
just fine also, for example mplayer which uses ALSA on my system.

If, and only if the instructions in the book put 'autoaudiosink' into
the GNOME preferences AND that does not work for others, this should be
addressed. Otherwise it's just a coincidence on my system.
Unfortunately, I don't have an idea on how to isolate this would-be problem.

I can find a default definition of autoaudiosink in
/etc/gconf/schemas/gstreamer-0.10.schemas which is owned by
gst-plugins-good-0.10.31 and also in
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml which is touched by a
large amount of packages. It could be that 'autoaudiosink' does work,
but only if there is only one version of GStreamer and friends
installed. (I have GStreamer 0.10 and 1.0 installed.) So really, I can't
tell what causes this, I can only tell you that I had a problem and how
I fixed it in the hopes that this may be of some use to others.

Cheers mate!
Lars





More information about the blfs-support mailing list