[blfs-support] linux kernel wont compile, gcc-4.6.3?

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Oct 1 19:28:38 PDT 2012

Sometimes if you don't start from a working kernel config, you can end
up with a kernel configuration that won't compile.  Another possibility,
you leave something out that is essential for your system to boot.
Start with a commercial Linux distribution's generic kernel,
disable initrd and if needed, compile in drivers that are needed at
boot.  Be sure to start udev fairly early.  Have you made any changes to
the boot scripts?  Have you changed the loading order?  Are you running
root over NFS?

I don't know if gcc-4.6.3 can compile the kernel or not, but I suspect
that it can.  A generic kernel from a commercial Linux distribution
usually has the gzipped kernel config available at /proc/config.gz.

I hope you can get this figured out.  Good luck.