[blfs-support] linux kernel wont compile, gcc-4.6.3?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:00:58 PDT 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:

>   Udev version changes break bootscripts.  News at 11.

Generally, that's a little more difficult with current systems.  There
are some problem areas with multiple NICs, but otherwise udev is just
creating symlinks and managing permissions.  It shouldn't prevent a
console login.  It's doubtful that a fsck problem is caused by udev.

>  Even though it is clfs, after you sort out fsck.ext3, if you don't
> find serious errors in that and have to start again, try
> init=/bin/bash.  Then step through the bootscripts - that is never
> fun (r/o root fs when it starts), but the only way to find out what
> is broken.

In LFS, we've had the capabilty to step through the bootscripts
interactively by setting IPROMPT=yes in /etc/sysconfig/rc.site since
7.0.  I suppose we could add a capability to break out to bash.

> For errors which show up when you do that, you will have to get
> resubscribed to clfs and ask there - general debugging processes are
> common, but the details of the bootscripts are "distro-specific".
>
>   And good luck with getting a decent mailer that will let you not
> top post!

I recommend gmail.  It's easy enough to use POP or IMAP with gmail and
use whatever client you want. It's also free.

   -- Bruce