[blfs-support] 64bit lfs question

Aleksandar Kuktin akuktin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 05:23:42 PST 2012

>On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:36:27 +0000
>Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:23:19AM +0000, lux-integ wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> > For the past 4/5 years I have been doing exclusively pure64bit
> > (amd64cpu) clfs builds.
> > I urgently need to upgrade to a build that uses glibc-2.16  (to see
> > if nfs4/rpcbind/gssd works !)  and clfs is currently embedded in
> > eglibc-2.15/gcc-4.6.3.    I am thinking of jumping ship back to
> > lfs.  Ii have the following question:-
> >
> > are pure 64bit (amd64 cpu )  builds possible with lfs?
>
>  Yes, I've only built pure64 x86_64 LFS for the past few years.
> The difference in LFS is that it has the /lib64 symlinks so it isn't
> quite so 'clean'.

This, however, can be fixed, so that a x86_64 is indistinguishable from
an i686 system.

This requires a patch to the compiler (attached) and, I think,
configuring glibc (I use glibc, hopefully eglibc can use the same
method) with --libdir=/usr/lib.

--
   Fourth law of programming:
   Anything that can go wrong wi