[blfs-support] xterminal question

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 5 08:47:57 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 11:17:20AM +0000, lux-integ wrote:

> great Idea.
> But why does / have to be R/W?  is this a requirement for udev (er systemd )?
>

> In my heath-robinson setup I am not using an initrd.  And everything except
> Xorg works.

 In this context, I am assuning 'Xorg' means xterm ?  You said that
the gimp works, and indeed my memory of slim is that it runs in X.

 I don't use xterm, so I have no idea how it works.  But if the
_edited_ version of the settings that I suggested doesn't work, then
I think you might be able to debug it on your regular system : build
strace, open a console xterm, use that to open a foreground xterm.
Provided you can open the second xterm, close it and repeat but
using strace - and route the output to a file.  Then read through
the file to see what gets opened.  After that, a custom init script
to use a tmpfs, and links to it from /etc or wherever.  To be
honest, I would expect that writes would go to /var, or perhaps
/usr/var.

 For the need to replug usb, I've no idea - I often saw the same
thing on my ppc64 with a regular usb keyboard connected via a kvm :
keyboard worked at the bootloader, but was silent at the login
prompt until I cycled through the kvm positions.  But, it you can't
use an xterm at all in your r/o system, that is more of a
showstopper.

ĸen