Authorization example

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Sun Jan 23 10:51:43 PST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:07:21 -0600
DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> That is a dbus configuration error, and the solution depends on where
> you've installed KDE.

I installed in /opt/kde45

> If anywhere other
> than /usr for the prefix, you'll need to add an entry into the
> /etc/dbus-1/system-local.conf file, and also if the sysconfdir is not
> /etc (for instance /etc/kde), you'll need to add any config directories

My /etc/dbus-1/system-local.conf file looks now as follows:
---------------------------------
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-Bus Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
  <!-- Search for .conf files in /etc/dbus-1/system.d -->
  <includedir>/etc/dbus-1/system.d</includedir>

  <!-- Search for .service files in /opt/kde45/share/dbus-1/system-services -->
  <servicedir>/opt/kde45/share/dbus-1/system-services</servicedir>
</busconfig>
---------------------------------

> Also, make sure that
> $KDE_PREFIX/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.kde.kcontrol.kcmclock
> actually exists

It exists exactly in that directory and looks as follows:
---------------------------------
Name=org.kde.kcontrol.kcmclock
Exec=/opt/kde45/lib/kde4/libexec/kcmdatetimehelper
User=root
---------------------------------
kcmdatetimehelper exists and is executable.

I get now a slightly different error message when changing time in system settings:
Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 7, DBus Backend error: could not contact the helper. Connection error: Could not get owner of name 'org.kde.kcontrol.kcmclock': no such name. Message error: Failed to setup environment correctly
( the former Message error was: "The name org.kde.kcontrol.kcmclock was not provided by any .service files" )

A remark about sysconfdir: in /etc/dbus-1/system.d there are files like "cups.conf",  "hal.conf" , "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.conf" but nothing concerning dbus. Is that OK ?

Thank you very much for your help,

Edgar

--
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers at gmx.de>