random-seed on readonly filesystem

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 23 10:54:52 PDT 2011

luxInteg wrote:
> Greetings ,
>
> I would be grateful if someone could advise on the   saving  and retrieving of
> the  random seed on a BLFS installation   and if  the  random-seed cant be

Which random seed? Do you mean the one described in <stdlib.h> for
the pseudo random number generator?

> saved how does one generate one on boot from say time sources  or whatever. (
> when the only writable  area is /tmp)

The kernel has a device one can create to get truly random bits.

$ man -s4 random

I suggest trying

$ apropos <subject matter>

when you want to find things out. It's very helpful.

Mac
You have found the bank of Larn.