Working With the Boot Scripts to Bring Up Network

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 23:18:48 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Dan McGhee <beesnees at grm.net> wrote:
> On 07/24/2010 12:15 PM, Andrew Benton wrote:
>> On 24/07/10 00:08, Dan McGhee wrote:
>>   >  stuff about wireless
>> I've no idea how to get wireless to work with the LFS bootscripts. I
>> would recommend that you install wpa_supplicant and configure it to
>> connect to all the wireless networks you know about. It's a one time job
>> to set up /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf with all the passwords, then I can
>> connect to any network I have the password to (if its in range)>  connecting info
>>
> I think I've learned that. It has become obvious that the biggest
> problem is getting the wireless NIC to associate with an access point.
> Once that's done dhclient can do it's thing.
>
> In addition to the wpa_supplicant README, Bruce posted a link to the
> BLFS WIKI that has some configuration and a bootscript for wpa_supplicant.
>
> While I like to do these sorts of things manually a couple of times, I'd
> like it to me "seamless" after I get more of my system built. To this
> end, Simon mentioned Network Manager and Neal suggested wicd as a
> possibility. Ultimately, I'll probably go with wicd.
>
> Andy, thanks for validating my thought process and the examples of the
> configuration.
>
> Dan

A service script can be added to the LFS Bootscripts to bring up
wireless network,  (the same way DHCP is added), but there would be
limitations.  The only time the network would be brought up would be
at boot.  There is no daemon to check for networks & reconfigure.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------