Working With the Boot Scripts to Bring Up Network

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:25:57 PDT 2010

Dan McGhee wrote:
> This is one of those "somewhere between LFS and BLFS" topics, but since
> I'm using the blfs-bootscripts, I thought I'd post here.
>
> The overall indication is that the bootscripts return FAIL when trying
> to bring up the network on boot.  And before this I get "SIOCSIFADDR:
> device does not exist" or something like that.  This error message
> generates when /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup runs--regardless of
> when it runs.

/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup is not designed to run with
wireless.  It really wants a standard wired eth0 type of network interface.

Wireless is a difficult topic.  You have wlan0.  Not all wireless nics
have the same device.   If you are configuring a laptop, getting it to
connect to different access points requires a fair amount of work.

It's been months since I turned on my laptop, but I don't recommend
running wireless without encryption.  This requires wireless-tools and
wpa-supplicant.

Yout might want to take a look at
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/WirelessTools

I doubt I'll respond any more to this thread as I don't think I can
contribute more than the above.

   -- Bruce