Working With the Boot Scripts to Bring Up Network

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Jul 23 16:08:10 PDT 2010

This is one of those "somewhere between LFS and BLFS" topics, but since
I'm using the blfs-bootscripts, I thought I'd post here.

The overall indication is that the bootscripts return FAIL when trying
to bring up the network on boot.  And before this I get "SIOCSIFADDR:
device does not exist" or something like that.  This error message
generates when /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup runs--regardless of
when it runs.  This will be obvious in a moment.

I can connect to the internet--there is no other network right now--by,
as root,:
1.  ip link set wlan0 up [iwconfig won't change attributes unless I do this]
2.  iwconfig wlan0 ESSID <name of my router>
3.  dhclient

Without any of the leading directories, 'network start' bails, 'ifup
wlan0' bails, and, in no case does dhclient get started.  I'm thinking
that I'm not passing all the variables to 'ifup' when I try to do it
manually by running 'ifup wlan0'  before #3 in the above sequence.  I'm
also thinking of adding

"iwconfig wlan0 Essid <name of my router>"

right after ip...........up, in 'ifup.'

This, if it works, will get things running here at home, but I'd like to
be able to connect anywhere I go.  I'm reduced to manually changing the
ESSID and inputting any passwords that people may have.  Although I
can't remember where, I know I've seen in {,B}LFS instructions a way to
pull a string out of the output of a command to set a variable or use on
a given line.  I'd like to put an instruction like that in somewhere so
I can pass the string to iwconfig if my above idea works.

What I think I've seen is some command piped to grep and the output used
for the script.  If I run:

iwlist wlan0 scanning

part of it's output is the ESSID of the AP.  So, and this doesn't work
because I've tried it,:

iwconfig wlan0 scanning | grep ESSID

The return from that is 'ESSID <name of my router>" and I don't know how
to get <name of my router> into a usable form.

I sure would appreciate any comments, evaluations, suggestions or other
options.

Thanks,
Dan