autofs configuration mystery

Scott harview at montana.com
Mon Jan 18 09:00:48 PST 2010

Apologies in advance that this is happenning on debian, not lfs. But
it seems like a plain-vanilla sysadmin issue, so I figured I'd ask
first where there is a greater percentage of knowledgeable folks...

I had successfully gotten udev/autofs running with some removable USB
drives. Then, after tweaking some settings, it no longer was
working. So, I reverted to the original configuration. It still did
not work. So I attempted to completely re-do the 1st configuration
which I had done, as follows:

# ls /var/autofs/removable/usb/
ls: cannot access /var/autofs/removable/usb: No such file or directory
# ls auto*
auto.master   auto.misc  auto.removable   auto.smb
auto.master~  auto.net	 auto.removable~
# rm -f auto*~
# mv auto.removable saved.removable

(Then edited auto.master, commenting out the auto.removable line.)

# init.d/autofs restart
Stopping automounter: done.
Starting automounter: no automount maps defined.
# init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------

Active Mount Points:
--------------------

(a clean system, right?)
(Now uncommented auto.removable line)

# cat /etc/auto.master
#
# $Id: auto.master,v 1.4 2005/01/04 14:36:54 raven Exp $
#
# Sample auto.master file
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
#/misc	/etc/auto.misc --timeout=60
#/smb	/etc/auto.smb
#/misc	/etc/auto.misc
#/net	/etc/auto.net
/var/autofs/removable	/etc/auto.removable	--timeout=2

# mv saved.removable auto.removable

# cat /etc/auto.removable
usb	-fstype=vfat,rw		:/dev/usbstick
ipod	-fstype=vfat,rw		:/dev/ipod
sdcard	-fstype=vfat,rw		:/dev/cam

# init.d/autofs restart
Stopping automounter: done.
Starting automounter: done.
# init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=2 /var/autofs/removable program /etc/auto.removable

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --pid-file=/var/run/autofs/_var_autofs_removable.pid --timeout=2 /var/autofs/removable program /etc/auto.removable

(Up and running, right?)
(Insert usb thumbdrive....)

# ls /var/autofs/removable/usb
ls: cannot access /var/autofs/removable/usb: No such file or directory

(udev is still working....)

# ls /dev/usbstick
/dev/usbstick
# mount /dev/usbstick /mnt/foo
# ls /mnt/foo/*
/mnt/foo/album_cover.eps
/mnt/foo/album_cover.jpg
/mnt/foo/aldrich_fof.tex
  (etc....)

Would appreciate any help here, I am stumped! What am I missing??!

Scott.
--
I WISH I HAD A KRYPTONITE CROSS, because then you could keep both Dracula
and Superman away.