Xorg desktop viewed through fog - Sorted

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 10 17:06:29 PST 2010

2010/1/11 Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>> 2010/1/10 Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>:
>>> What are you doing?  If it's xorg -config  <fn>, did you add the -retro
>>> flag?
>
>>         Driver      "ati"
>
> This is really the only important part.
>
>> Also forgot to mention that this is a TFT monitor.
>>
>> Will try running xorg -config in case my xorg.conf
>> is too old.
>
> You don't need to run twm to see if X works, just
>
>   X -retro -config ~/xorg.conf.new
>
> or you can check the just with
>
>   X -retro -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> You get a gray background and an X.  C-BS to exit.  You can at least see
> if the brightness looks right.

 Gave that a try after sending the mail, looked good.

 I'll take your word for the exit (I only build evdev, the default
uses kbd and mouse for the input drivers so I had to reboot),

>  Xorg -configure
>
> will tell you what kind of video card X finds.  Look at ~/xorg.conf.new
>
>   -- Bruce
> --
 First difference was it uses "radeon" instead of "ati" but
that made no difference (not surprising, it's the same
driver).

 Second difference was a load more modules.  Might be
useful, but testing proved they are not relevant to the
problem.

 I noticed that the new conf file only specified
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth      n
  (for various values of n)
whereas I'd been forcing 16-bit (thought to be
faster at some time in the past) and specifying
a number of Modes (of which only 1600x1200
worked).

 Tried setting the Viewport and specifying Depth 24
and everything looks good, so I can again see
what I'm replying to.

Bruce, thanks for prompting me to use the
configure options.  Based on past experience,
I'd started by assuming something was buggy.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"