BLFS svn book Shadow-4.1.4.2 question about a page note

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:48:21 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, at 11:34 stosss wrote:
> Note: The ENV_SUPATH option used to modify root's default path does not
> work with PAM. If you are using this option, you'll need to set the path
> in root's login scripts instead.
>
> This one is clear.
>
> Note:
> The ENV_SUPATH option used to modify root's default path does not
> work with PAM. You have to set the path in root's login scripts instead.
>
> This one is not clear.
>
> If you are using this option,
>
> Is what makes it clear.

By that it looks to me, that we are some kind of a project, that we are
caring about our customers (an already established audience). It sounds
like the note to be intended for *experienced* users, which is quite the
opposite from what you say a little bit bellow to your email.

> If a user does not understand or use ENV_SUPATH they won't be concerned
> with the note if it has the part in it that you pulled out.

But we expect from the readers (which is a little bit different than
to say users), to understand and to be concerned with
everything it is written in the books. That is our purpose.

As far the ENV_SUPATH, we want from the reader to understand its
importance, otherwise we wouldn't sacrifice a valuable space in the page
with a note that will (probably) make the page more complicated
and bloated, and you know what: somehow this page it is already
complicated. But the shadow suite is really important, because it
concerns security.

> If a user is using and understands ENV_SUPATH they will know they need
> to make adjustments.
> Why complicate things for the less experienced readers when it is not necessary?

Honestly, we are not trying to complicated things on purpose, as a matter
of fact, we are trying to clarify and improve the wording when it is possible,
and anyway that is the meaning of this discussion, and let me say that: I
could be wrong and you could be right and perhaps later on, I can
understand the difference in the small details and change the note
accordingly.

> This note won't bother me again because I have been educated thanks to Simon.

Seriously: then our mission is complete and we are very happy for that.

Regards,
Agathoklis.