BLFS svn book Shadow-4.1.4.2 question about a page note

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue Jan 5 20:43:18 PST 2010

On 01/05/2010 11:34 PM, stosss wrote:
> Note: The ENV_SUPATH option used to modify root's default path does not
> work with PAM. If you are using this option, you'll need to set the path
> in root's login scripts instead.
>
> This one is clear.
>
> Note:
> The ENV_SUPATH option used to modify root's default path does not
> work with PAM. You have to set the path in root's login scripts instead.
>
> This one is not clear.
>
> If you are using this option,
>
> Is what makes it clear. If a user does not understand or use
> ENV_SUPATH they won't be concerned with the note if it has the part in
> it that you pulled out.

I already pointed this out. Basically, I believe the opposite - adding
"if you are using" makes it *less* clear, as *everyone* uses it by
default, even if they don't know it.

> If a user is using and understands ENV_SUPATH they will know they need
> to make adjustments.

And as I already pointed out, if the "if you are using" part were there,
that would imply that ENV_SUPATH is something added by the user (which
it is NOT) and therefore anyone who did use it wouldn't need it
explained anyway.