MPlayer - [vo_ivtv.o] Error 1 [libvo/libvo.a] Error 2

rhubarbpie at poetworld.net rhubarbpie at poetworld.net
Tue Aug 24 07:15:13 PDT 2010

I'm receiving the following make errors while attempting to compile
>> MPlayer-1.0rc1:
>>
>> make [1] *** [vo_ivtv.o] Error 1
>> make [1] *** [libvo/libvo.a] Error 2
>>
>> I tried --disable-ivtv without success.  I'm attempting MPlayer using
>> BLFS development instructions on a LFS 6.6 base.  I have successfully
>> compiled MPlayer with BLFS 6.3 so this is unexpected.  ?
>> --
>>
>   It's not a package I use, but you'll do better if you capture
> the error messages that came before this.  All the above
> tells us is that something prevented vo_ivtv.o from being
> created, which then presumably caused 'ar' to fail.
>
>   Actually, if there are a lot of errors, only the first one is
> important.
>
>   If you log the build and route stderr to the same log, and
> don't use any -j option for make, you should then be able
> to search the log to find out where it started to fall over.
>
> If you have the error message, google _might_ be your
> friend (I'm less sure of that in this case, because distros
> usually use mplayer snapshots.
>
>   You don't say which LFS you were using with BLFS-6.3,
> but a lot has changed and in particular recent versions of
> gcc are a lot stricter about include files.
>
>   You might also want to try a newer version - according to
> http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html 1.0.0-rc3 was
> released at the end of May.  Anyone using that version
> should read the notes on that page.
>
> ĸen

I used matched LFS & BLFS 6.3 and always used matched versions when they
were available. The preceding errors are:

vo_ivtv.c: In function 'ivtv_reset':
vo_ivtv.c:79: error: storage size of 'sd' isn't known
vo_ivtv.c:80: error: storage size of 'sd1' isn't known
vo_ivtv.c:85: error: 'IVTV_ IOC_STOP_DECODE' undeclared (first use in
function)
vo_ivtv.c:85: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
vo_ivtv.c:85: error: for each function is appears in.)
vo_ivtv.c:95: error: 'IVTV_IOC_STOP_DECODE' undeclared (first use in
this function)

However, I'm confused. The error occurs on my screen with "make
install." Should I have used something similar to "make install | tee
LogFile.txt >2&1" to trap the error? If I do so, LogFile.txt is
extensive, but omits those lines. What have I done wrong in trapping the
error to text?