Auto mounting USB thumb drives and CD/DVD

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Apr 14 01:11:11 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 09:35 -0400, linux fan wrote:
> I stopped the haldeamon and started up kde 4.4.2 (pretty new stuff).
> Then I started dragonplayer and it immediately told me that my audio
> playback device does not work.
>
> I guess "deprecated" is not synonymous with "you don't need it".

No, it's not. 'Deprecated' generally means that the developers aren't
maintaining it anymore, and that packages requiring it should migrate to
something else. It doesn't at all imply that nothing still uses it, only
that doing so should be considered a bug.

That said, we're a long way into the process of removing those
dependencies. I don't know how close KDE is to dropping it, but as I
said before, you can build a current Xorg and Gnome without it and
without any loss of functionality.

Simon.