Auto mounting USB thumb drives and CD/DVD

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 13 01:13:41 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 20:43 -0400, linux fan wrote:
> On 4/12/10, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> > You don't. G-V-M has been obsolete for a few years, even before the
> > deprecation of HAL
>
> HAL is deprecated?
> Honorable bewildered self seeks enlightenment if available.

See my post on this thread of a couple of days ago, the one Andrew was
asking me about

But the short version is that HAL was the first try (in 2004 or so) at
improving hardware management stuff - it was a big improvement, but the
design proved inadequate over time. So the original developers started
writing a replacement called DeviceKit (mid 2008), most of which
eventually got merged into udev (early 2009).

So over the last year or so, the major distros and upstream projects
using HAL have been working on migrating away from it. That's pretty
much complete now - xorg-server 1.8 was the last piece I was waiting for
in order to drop HAL from my system entirely...

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_%28software%29
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeviceKit

Simon.