How to start X at boot

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Sat Apr 3 11:28:00 PDT 2010

On Friday 02 April 2010 23:13:38 you wrote:

> > The only way I find out is "xinit" after logging in !
> > Comments very appreciated !
> > Edgar
>

> I wasn't able to get xdm to compile, kept getting:
>
> gcc: /usr/X11/lib: linker input file unused because linking not done
>
> But I was able to compile 'slim':
>
> And modified /etc/inittab to start at init level 5 and point to slim. Yes, I
know slim isn't part of BLFS, but as I said I could get xdm to compile.

Hi,

thank you very much for this hint ! slim is very good and simple to use. I
could this way bypass the problems with kdm, which could be related to the new
securty issues of KDE-4.4.1.

A remark for people working with KDE-4.4: slim does not compile with gcc-4.4.
It is necessary to patch switchuser.h. See http://bugs.gentoo.org/252745

slim is not the only package not included in BLFS until now. I am using e.g.
wicd as network-manager, as the original KDE-4.4 is by far not so smart as
wicd.

Again, thank you very much !

Edgar