NetworkManager and RT2500

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Feb 21 01:11:41 PST 2009

A few comments below, but I'd suggest asking on the NM mailing list
instead - nothing about your problem seems LFS-specific, and they're the
experts on NM and wireless networking in general.

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 14:42 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I have dhcdbd running.  Apparently this program sits waiting for a
> program to signal that it needs an IP address and then it asks the
> DHCP server for one.

What version of NM are you using? The dhcdbd package is no longer used
if you're using 0.7.

> NetworkManager is starting WPA Supplicant.  I don't need it because I
> am trying to set up a WEP connection.  I know, it's not secure, but I
> have a machine that won't do WPA.

Yes, you do need it, even if you're not using WPA. The name
wpa_supplicant is somewhat misleading, really, since NM is using it for
scanning for access points, and to support authentication of any kind,
not just WPA.

Simon.