Wireless setup

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Feb 18 23:28:16 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 13:47 +0000, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> As for these scripts that are required. I already have these although
> I had to import them manually from the latest supplicant.   This is
> why I thought the problem lay elsewhere with permissions.   I'll try
> the patch though.  Can I ask Simon - do you have the supplicant
> running as a daemon at startup?   A lot of distros do, but it
> shouldn't be necessary surely with Networkmanager doing it all for
> you?

No - that's the point of the patch I included, that D-Bus is able to
start the supplicant whenever something (i.e NM) tries to access the
supplicant's interface. I start D-Bus, then HAL, then NetworkManager -
nothing else related.

Hmm... the log you posted earlier included the line "Trying to start the
supplicant" - is there actually a supplicant process running? In my
case, I see a "(wlan0): supplicant manager state:  down -> idle" a few
lines later in the log, whereas your message suggests it's unable to get
the state from the supplicant. Could be either it's not being started,
or that it's not working while running.

If you can't find the process running, what happens if you do start it
manually (don't forget the -u parameter), then restart NM? In theory I
think, it should be happy with this existing process...

Simon.