Wireless setup

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Feb 9 23:56:55 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 12:23 +0000, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> Thanks for the offer Richard, but I have configured my wireless
> manually inc. wpa_supplicant and I have a wireless connection at boot
> time. The problem is Networkmanager as I say. I want to get it working
> as I want to use my computer away from home, but it brings dowm my
> connection at the command prompt

First thing is, configuring your network connection yourself is mutually
exclusive with running NetworkManager - you can't both be managing the
device. So if you do want to use NM, the solution isn't to make it leave
your existing settings alone - it's to configure it to achieve the same
thing.

>  and I'm wondering if it's only really 'controllable' from a desktop.
> Apparently(googled it)it can not be controlled from the command line.
> If I can get Knetworkmanager working in KDE I might find out more.

Depends on whether you actually need interactive control, or if you just
want it to connect on startup, without a user logged in. For the former,
there are a couple of command-line tools I've seen mentioned, though I
don't know how functional they are.

- http://code.google.com/p/network-manager-cli/
- http://markmail.org/message/orx3jxzjc6gzj5uz

If you just want automatic connection, you'll need to look into the
system settings daemon provided in 0.7 - I've never looked closely at
it, but it basically acts as a non-interactive equivalent of the desktop
clients, using info from config files in /etc instead of from the user.

> Is there someone who has Networkmanager running in a desktop who could
> tell me exactly what scripts their running at boot time?

Other than the standard stuff, just one that starts NetworkManager -
nothing more. Oh, and a patch that lets DBus start wpa_supplicant when
something (i.e NM) requests it, but that's hopefully made it upstream in
the supplicant by now...

Simon.