Wireless setup

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Feb 7 23:02:43 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 11:22 +0000, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> I've actually got wifi to work ouside of KDE(not installed yet)after
> boot up from the command prompt, I can browse with lynx.  One thing
> though - I have installed Networkmanager and have the daemon up and
> running at boot up, but this daemon is actually bringing down my wifi
> connection when it starts, i.e take the daemon away and I connect
> straight away at boot time.

That's because once you start the NetworkManager daemon, it's
exclusively responsible for managing whatever network devices it can
find, wired or wireless - any state you've put them in before running it
is unimportant.

As to actually connecting, my machine does it once I log in (i.e once
Gnome starts), since my connections are all tied to my account. NM 0.7
is supposed to include support for connections that can be activated on
boot without any user logged in, but I don't know how it works - if you
need that, you'd need to try the NM mailing list instead.

In my case though, the machine is a simple desktop, and having no
network access until I actually log in is fine - I've been using NM for
the job about 3 years now...

Simon.