Wireless setup

richard.melville at ntlworld.com richard.melville at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 5 03:56:44 PST 2009

> I'm new to wireless and am trying to set it up on LFS6.4 using the
> setup in BLFS under
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/WirelessTools.
> Two problems:
>
> The wireless script provided at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jciccone/wireless won't load
> wpa_supplicant. The command wpa_supplicant -Bw
> -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i${1} is not being run.  I can input
> this by hand after booting and its fine , but it will not run from
> the script.
>
> The second problem involves dhcpcd.   I can bring up my connection
> to the router by hand with 'dhcpcd wlan0'(after running
> supplicant), but if I run it from its script at boot time I get no
> connection.  I have to delete its pid and then input by hand again.
>    I've attached some of the files for viewing can someone help me
> to get online from bootup automatically.

I can't comment on dhcp as I use fixed addresses, but if wpa_supplicant runs OK on the command line but not from the script maybe the script is being called too soon -- just a guess.

I don't use the script you refer to -- I've written a very simple six-liner which I call from rc3.d at S95, which is about the last call I think.  It works OK for me.

Don't know if that's much help.

Richard