totem and startup-notification

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 20 07:30:44 PST 2008

 I've got an odd one here, and I suspect it's down to something I'm
doing or omitting, but for the life of me I can't see what.

 My current builds include totem, mainly because I'm building
gstreamer as a dependency for gnash (so, this is totem with the gst
backend).  If I don't patch totem, both the 2.18.2 and 2.20.1 versions
bomb out in the build when they try to reference libsn/sn.h

totem-plugin-viewer.c:37:22: error: libsn/sn.h: No such file or
directory
 and then the usual mass of errors.

 When I first met this, the main result for sn_display_new (one of
the functions reporting an error) on google was
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-commits/2007-June/msg03254.html

 which removes the references to libsn and quite a large chunk of
code.  With that, both 2.18.2 and 2.20.1 build for me, and seem to
work.  The oddity is that fedora dropped this for 2.18.2 because of
"upstream fixes".  I'm using startup-notification-0.9, but so are
they.  I can't see anybody else needing to work around this (e.g.
ubuntu, gentoo) so I guess it's something wrong with my builds, but
I'm out of ideas.

 As far as I can see, fedora don't do anything interesting when they
install startup-notification, so libsn/sn.h is still in
/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0/libsn/sn.h.

 If it makes a difference, this is a "minimal" gnome, just enough to
build a couple of applications and some utilities, but not e.g.
nautilus (so, only about 50 to 60 packages specific to gnome).

ĸen