Googleearth

Hans-Joachim Widmaier hjwidmaier at web.de
Tue Jan 8 13:14:51 PST 2008

Zsolt Udvari wrote:
>> Nah, not by calling "sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin". I want to install it
>> system-wide and keep coontrol with my package manager (which implies
>> installation into DESTDIR).
> So, do you want install to the specified directory (e.g.
> /usr/pkgs/google-earth/{bin,share,...})? If yes, you can do two (or
> more :) things:

Not exactly - *that* would be easy, as it's expected by the installer.
The problem with packaging via DESTDIR is that while the _final_
installation (and configuration, i.e., paths) go to /path/to/where/ever,
the initial installation goes to $DESTDIR/path/to/where/ever.
And if you give the latter to those #*&! installers, it will configure
the application to run _there_, not in /path/to/where/ever.
Most (source) packages have support for this kind of installation (even
perl and python add-ons), and even if not, you can, sometimes with quite
a bit of work (granted), make them behave.

> 1. the install-program asks the "Install path" (via gui)

But these dang graphical installers make it almost impossible! Of course
they ease the task for the non-technical user.

> 2. run "sh GoogleEartLinux.bin --noexec --target Uncompressed" and cd
> Uncompressed and run ./setup.sh with -i or -p option.

Thankfully, there's often a command-line interface, too. And it really
looks like I had my blindfolds on. The -p option seems to be just it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Sorry for all the noise.
And apologies to Google ...

Hans-Joachim